Saturday, November 14, 2009

cranberries on stick branches

I am trying to get up the energy to get myself up to Cranbrook Hill today to the cranberry bog I found there, where the wild cranberries still hang like frosted bright rubies from barren branches in the snow-chilled forest. It's a car-free weekend so option are: bus (very infrequent schedule or walk -- over an hour one way through the cold). Could bike but would rather use studded tires which I don't have. I have gotten as far as donning a woolen touque and layers of long underwear & woollen garments. . . winter is drawing near, the first of snows now covers the Prince George landscape -- not yet enough to go cross-country skiing (can't wait!)

Later, we are going to a lantern walk in honour of St. Martin's day - a friend from Germany is organizing it. I love the idea of a candlelit walk to add cheer to the early cold darkness of a mid-November day.

Tomorrow afternoon, I shall go to Prince George Symphony Orchestra's 'Go for Baroque' featuring Bach (Orchestral suite no. 2 in b minor & violin concerto no.2 in e major), Purcell (the fairy queen suite no. 1) & Handel (water music, suite no. 1).

As the quiet season descends on the north, such reflective music seems most appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment